Aurora by Julie Christine
Summary:


Brian just wants to be normal like everyone else. His best friend helps hatch a plan that will make that happen. How will it all turn out?


Categories: Fiction Characters: None
Age Group: Pre-Teen Under 13, Teenager 13-18
Categories: Caught with Consequences, Crossdressing/TV, Seasonal
Genre: Drama
Keywords: Hair or Hair Salon, Petticoats and Crinolines, School Girl
Story Universe: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 12411 Read: 60063 Published: 12 Feb 2011 Updated: 02 Oct 2011
Story Notes:

 

Dedicated to Kimberly Elizabeth Fox
(08/28/1950 - 06/11/2008)
 
Without you, I would have never had the courage to share my works. I miss you!

Thanks to Maggie Finson, and Catrina Lochley for your help with story development and charecter ideas. Also thanks to Annette and Karen Page for always encouraging me to continue writing, despite how frustrated I made them.

 

1. The Plan by Julie Christine

2. Trick or Treat? by Julie Christine

3. Parent�s, Family and Friends by Julie Christine

4. Chapter Four � Same Stuff Different Dreams� by Julie Christine

5. Chapter 5 by Julie Christine

The Plan by Julie Christine
Author's Notes:

Thanks to Maggie Finson, and Catrina Lochley for your help with story development and charecter ideas. Also thanks to Annette and Karen Page for always encouraging me to continue writing, despite how frustrated I made them.

This is the first chapter, in what I hope to be a near novel length book. Chapter 2 is with editors, and work has progressed well on Chapter 3. Your comments and encouragement will help speed me along.

-JulueChristine

 


Aurora
by Julie Christine

Chapter One – The Plan

The Light


I’m not quite sure what scared me more. Was it the light at the end of the tunnel? Or was it the reality of what awaited me if I chose to not follow the light.

I’m honestly not even sure what happened to get me to this point where I now was. I’m not even sure where I am. It’s like I’m somewhere but nowhere at the same time.
I remember the other day, breaking the news to my mom that I wanted to go Trick or Treating with Amanda and her parents, because they were going to be hitting all the “good’ neighborhoods. My Mom was very disappointed. She really wanted me to Trick or Treat around our house so that she could see me wearing the little cowboy costume she had bought me. I reminded her that she’d be able to see me before school because I was going to wear my costume to school. She told me it just wasn’t the same but if I wanted to go with Amanda that was okay with her. I really hated hurting my Mom’s feelings, but I had a secret that I just couldn’t let my parents find out. 
Amanda and I had come up with a plan that would let me keep my secret. We desperately hoped it would work.

 

The Secret


You see Amanda and her older sister, Tracy, knew my deepest darkest secret. Amanda and I had been friends since pre-school. I wasn’t surprised that Amanda was ok with my secret when I told her; I mean we were best friends. I had tried to tell her several times, but couldn’t find the right words. Finally, I just had to tell her, and it all spilled out in a flood of words. She hugged me and was ok with it. 

But when her sister walked in on us that one fateful day, and discovered my secret, I thought for sure I was never going to be able to visit Amanda again. There I was, in Amanda’s room, sitting on her canopy bed talking with Amanda when Tracy walked in to the room without knocking. The only problem was that I as in one of Amanda’s dresses. It was a lilac colored sundress. My hair was mussed, and in a sad approximation of a girl’s style.

Tracy looked at me a little strangely, then smiled and asked me what my name was. I was tempted to tell her the icky name, but instead, I told her the truth. My name, my REAL name was Aurora.

At that news, she smiled even bigger, which I didn’t think was possible, and hugged me tight. She then sat down to play with us. She even helped me brush my hair out, and gave me a headband to make it lay right. When she was done it looked cute. 

Tracy had even helped us come up with the plan for Halloween. She was so awesome. It made me wish I had my own big sister to teach the things Tracy taught Amanda. Unfortunately for me all I had was an older brother whose sole enjoyment seemed to be picking on and teasing me.

I guess I was never really the kind of boy most parents expected or wanted. In fact, my mom once told me that she was sure I was going to be girl when she was pregnant with me. When she first saw me was certain the doctor had made a mistake; I was so pretty.

Every day I wake up in the morning, wishing that the doctor had actually made a mistake. I knew that he was wrong, because I knew I was a girl.

 

Trick or Treat Morning

But back to Trick or Treat, I remember waking up on Friday, and making my to the shower. I washed my hair which was shorter than how I wanted it, but longer than most the boys in my class. My Mom called it shaggy, and was threatening to get it cut, but with her working full time, and dad having left us years earlier, I didn’t have to worry that much about such things. Things like getting haircuts, going clothes shopping and doing fun things like going to the movies are always getting postponed or even canceled.

I think that’s part of why my Mom was upset about us not trick or treating near the house. She had gone out of her way to get the night off, but I had a plan, and that’s all that mattered to me.

Anyways, it was Friday, and it was trick or treat. It wasn’t actually Halloween, that wasn’t until Monday, but our town held trick or treat always on Friday, and since that was the case, the school always celebrated Halloween on the same day.

After my shower, I went to my room and started getting dressed, but instead of my usual school uniform, I was going to wear my cowboy costume to school. Now normally not having to wearing the boys uniform would be great, but I also didn’t want to go as a cowboy. But I put on a pair of blue jeans, and the actual leather like chaps my mom had bought me, with the fringe, and I even had a pair of actual cowboy boots to go with my costume. So after putting on my boots and my socks, I dawned my flannel shirt and picked the hat off my dresser. I thought about wearing the belt with the 2 holsters, but I thought better of it, as our school didn’t allow toy guns anyways, and I thought it would just look stupid with out.

When I walked into the kitchen to make my bowl of cereal, Denny was there and he laughed at me. I expected nothing less of course, I mean he was in 8th grade, and I was in 6th grade, and felt this costume was probably a little bit juvenile for meat my noble 12 years of age. But mom thought it was absolutely adorable and just had to have it.

About 5 minutes after I finished eating, mom came out of her room dressed for work, and both Denny and I grabbed what we needed for school.

Holidays at school were always ok and “light days”. Because of the excitement ahead, the teachers usually just showed us movies and let us play quiet games and whatnot. But for me, the day couldn’t have dragged on more slowly.

I tried to get into watching the movie the teacher put in, but it was something I had seen many times. And My heart just wasn’t in any of the games we played. I was distracted all day, and I think the teacher noticed, but as soon as school was out that day, I perked up. As I ran out of the classroom door, with Amanda in tow, I noticed Tracy outside, standing beside their mom’s SUV, waiting for us.

 

The Plan

“Slow down there” she said to me with a chuckle, at which point I did, giving Amanda a moment to catch her breath. I don’t think she liked being dragged along by her backpack strap, but I just had to get to her house. Tracy came forward and hugged us both. Now I know that doesn’t sound like a normal teenager, but Tracy was different. She seemed to really care about Amanda and even me, which made me feel good.

One the ride home, Tracy asked me if I was ready, like she couldn’t already tell, but I replied yes none the less.

When we made it to Amanda’s house, I was a little more calm, but still excited. I was too busy at that point, chatting with Amanda to notice the familiar car sitting on the street outside.

Well, whilst I was a bit calmer than at school, that didn’t mean that I wasn’t in a hurry to get inside and put our plan into action. The car had only just been stopped when Amanda opened the rear passenger door and I was trying to climb over her nearly to get out. Now that I reflect on this, I wonder why I didn’t just use the door on the other side.

Amanda and I ran inside, hand in hand this time, and straight up to her room, I hear her Mom call from the kitchen shortly after, and Tracy reply that we were here, and that Amanda and I had gone upstairs.

Now, normally when working on a plan like this, I know that the ideal thing is to wait. It’s best to pull it off when everything is just right, but I wanted to make sure to have enough time to get into my costume. See, our plan was for me to accidentally “rip” my costume in a way that wasn’t immediately fixable, and for Amanda to have the mischievous idea of dressing me in the costume she wore last year.

See despite me being a boy, we were actually quite similar in size, except I think I was an inch or so shorter, but I’d never admit it to her.

So there we were, in Amanda’s room. We were a bit nervous, and I was a bit sad to hurt my costume, I mean my Mom did go out of her way to make sure this wasn’t some cheap store box thing. I really did love my Mom, but I was just so afraid. Afraid that she would hate me for making her youngest son disappear. I longed so much to be her daughter that it just hurt sometimes.

I was broken out of my thoughts by Amanda coming at me with a pair of scissors. Not in a menacing way mind you, but with a hint of an evil gleam non the less. You see our plan was this. We would make a small cut into my jeans, and then when rip it larger. Our story would be that I had accompanied Amanda into her restroom (with the door left open of course) whilst she fixed her hair. I had been sitting on the tub/shower stall and when I got up, my jeans caught, and tore on the railing/track thingy that the shower door sits in. We would then head downstairs and tell Amanda’s Mom what had happened, and then Amanda would produce her “evil grin” yet again, and say “I have a plan” and drag me back upstairs.

Unfortunately, fate had other plans for us tonight.

 

Like a Deer in Headlights

 

Well, having successfully made the cut in my jeans, and being careful to not catch on my leather like chaps, we tore the rip in what we seemed was a believable way, to an amount that just made it not possible to go any further. Unfortunately this also left my underwear exposed to a degree.

 At this point it was Amanda’s turn to pull me by the hand downstairs as I was a bit embarrassed by having my white briefs exposed. After spending so much time planning this stunt, and waiting expectantly for the time to come, I’m just not sure why this never occurred to me.

As we descended the stairs, Amanda decided to beckon her Mom in that way only a Tween/Teen girl can. That is to say that she did not scream for her Mom in a way that was rude, nor did it sound like this was a life or death emergency. It somehow carried just a hint of pleading urgency like she just really needed some help.

Her Mom entered the living room from the kitchen and we both looked down at my torn pants and started to tell the story. What we had failed to notice was that my Mom had followed Amanda’s out of the kitchen. 

When we looked up, and saw my Mom standing there, we were both frozen like deer in headlights. Thankfully our Mom’s just mistook the stare as being worried about my Trick or Treating ability. I swear if Tracy hadn’t been there we would have been well and truly stuck. 

 It was then, that after only a few seconds, (even though it felt like years to us) Tracy took charge of the situation. Knowing what our plan was (as it was partially her idea) she said confidently “Oh no! Well, I think I have a solution” and took me upstairs to Amanda’s room.

 I was slightly surprised when Tracy locked the door after I entered, leaving Amanda outside to deal with our Mothers. Really, if you listen to how she tells the story, she’ll say she was answering questions for hours, and honestly, despite my being so anxious for all this to happen, it just might have been.

 You see, at this point I was more than just a bit petrified at getting dressed and going out in front of my mother. In front of Amanda’s Mom was okay as I had Tracy and Amanda to back me up from here on when I was here, but now I was going to eventually have to deal with my Mom talking about this, and I also knew that Denny was bound to find out now. I would just never live this down.

 Under Tracy’s careful ministrations I had undressed down to my unders and Tracy gave me a simple pair of white cotton panties to wear, fresh from a new bag in Amanda’s drawer.

 At that point, I started to cry. I just wanted to back out, and maybe put on a pair of Amanda’s jeans. I was so scared that my mom was there, and I just didn’t know what to do.

 At that point, Tracy wrapped me in a hug, letting me cry on her shoulder. She didn’t admonish me for being scared, or try to talk me out of wanting to walk away. She just held me and let me cry, and funnily enough, that seemed to do the trick.

 As I calmed down, I started to think about things, and figured if I didn’t do this now, I was never going to be able to be Aurora. 

 Once I was fully composed, and ready to continue, Tracy helped me weith m costume. She had already pulled everything out of Amanda’s closet, and set it out on the bed to make sure everything was ready. She had me first put on a silky vest like item, that she said was a bra for girls that don’t need bras, and then a full slip that went over that. 

 Then she held out a petticoat for me to step into, and pulled it up around my waist. At that point, it was time for me to become Aurora. She lifted the dress over my head, and helped me fish my arms through the sleeves, and my head through the collar. After zipping up the back, fixing of the decorative lacing, and general fussing with the way the skirt fell onto the petticoat, it was time for Tracy to do something with my hair.

 I thought Tracy was just going to brush my hair in a style like she’d done in the past, something that would make me look more like a girl, but instead, she picked an object out of a bag on top of Amanda’s vanity.

 It was a long wig that I swear was glowing almost magically as the lights of the vanity bounced of the honey blonde masterpiece. It flowed with gentle body, but no real curls, and had a cute fringe on the forehead.

 After combing my hair back, and affixing the wig on my head, she pulled out a pink ribbon and some how managed to tie it into a bow on top, that managed to lift the back of the wig and make it hang in a cute young girls style. The next thing I knew, she was placing a delicate tiara on my head. I was sure it wasn't expensive, yet it didn't seem cheap either. 

 I was beaming in the mirror, looking at it from the left and the right and straining to somehow see the back, when Tracy reached into the small purse she carried, and pulled out a tube of deep pink lipstick.

 “Now, normally a girl your age shouldn’t really be wearing makeup” she said. “But I feel this will match your bow so perfectly, and just make everything so completely perfect.”

 The tears had started forming as she tied the bow, and were flowing freely by this point.

 It wasn’t that I was scared any more, or sad in any way. Instead, I saw for the first time, the girl that I really knew was inside. To see that girl in the mirror for the first time was just so amazing.

 I saw through the mirror, Tracy looking at my reflection too, with a huge grin on her face. I couldn’t help but smile back, and try to beam my thoughts to her, as words were failing me. She seemed to know though, as she wrapped me in another warm hug from behind and then insisted we go.

 

End Notes:

Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011 Julie Christine/Kirstyn Amanda Fox. All rights reserved

Trick or Treat? by Julie Christine
Author's Notes:

 

Aurora Chapter Two – "Trick or Treat?"

 

Somehow the woman at the door noticed, and said “Wow, what a wonderful group of costumes we have here, but I think your friend Sleeping Beauty there seems to have gone silent.”
Everyone turned to me at that point, and  my body took it upon it’s self to betray me and blush violently. Once that was taken care of, I smiled politely and said “Trick or Treat?” and even added a bit of a curtsy.

 

 

Dedicated to Kimberly Elizabeth Fox
(08/28/1950 - 06/11/2008)
Without you, I would have never had the courage to share my works. I miss you!

Thanks to Maggie Finson, and Catrina Lochley for your help with story development and charecter ideas. Also thanks to Annette and Karen Page for always encouraging me to continue writing, despite how frustrated I made them. And an added thanks to everyone that has been encouraging me to continue this story. You know who you are! :)
-JC.

 

 

The Reveal

 

As we got near the staircase, all my worries had gone. I wasn’t a boy in a girl’s costume. I was Aurora, and Aurora had no reason to be scared. Tracy told me to wait just around the corner at the top of the stairs, and to not show myself till she announced me.

 

I heard her call for Her Mom, my Mom, and Amanda. She even greeted her Dad whom I didn’t know had even come home and then I heard her pronounce “Everyone, may I present to you, her royal highness, Princess Aurora” and at that, I did my best to mimic what I’ve seen in the movies.

 
I grabbed the skirt of my dress on either side, and gently lifted it, making sure that I had good control of my balance, and gently glided around the corner, pausing for a moment at the top of the stairs, and then gliding down.
 

Of course I was far from perfect at this and there was a mistake here or there, including tripping on the last step as I looked to Amanda, and away from the path in front of me, only to be caught by Amanda’s Dad. But the looks I had been getting up till that point told me that they knew what I had been trying for.

 

After setting me on my feet, Amanda’s Dad bowed to me as if I was really royalty and kissed my hand, which caused me to giggle. Amanda’s Mom came over and said “You are so brave to do this!” which caught me slightly off guard, and my Mom just smiled brighter than I’d seen her in a long while and gave me a hug, a tight warm hug.

 

Once all the gushing of our two Moms and even Amanda’s dad was over, and what I will swear to being enough pictures to fill two large memory cards in Mom’s digital camera were taken, Tracy grabbed her purse, and keys and ushered us outside.

 

Amanda and I were starting to walk to the street when we noticed that Tracy wasn’t right behind us. When we turned around, she was standing by their Mom’s SUV asking, “Where are you two headed?”

 

We looked at her blankly and pointed at the neighbors when she said, “Well, I don’t know about you, but I thought we would do a lot better if we headed out to a slightly more upscale area. The Houses are bigger and they generally give out better candy, but the houses are still all close together like a normal neighborhood.”

 

And with that description, our eyes completely lit up and we both started to run, quite un-lady like I might add, back to the SUV. When we got to the car, Tracy opened the back door for us, and Amanda made sure she got in first, after directing me how to get in properly by sitting down and then rotating sideways and sliding across the bench seat. I tried my best to copy her, but got my skirt all caught and tangled, at which point Tracy had me get out, and she helped me keep the skirt and everything in order properly this time. The key seemed to be to reach behind and really smooth out the skirt, and making sure nothing really got bunched up in the first place.

 

Once we were both in, and buckled up in the back, Tracy got into the Drivers seat, and placed a couple of what looked like pillowcases in the seat next to her.

 

“What are those for?” Amanda and I asked in unison, and then giggled.

 

“That’s for Overflow!” At the surprised look on our faces, Tracy continued, “My friends and I heard this would be a great place to take you guys. Some of my friends will be there too, with their sisters and brothers and whatnot. We think there will be enough candy in this small area to load you guys up for an entire year!”

 

Now at that, both Amanda and I started dreaming. I mean what kid doesn’t want a mountain sized haul of Trick or Treat candy that can last a whole year? Thoughts of Scrooge McDuck diving through his money vault passed through my brain, and I started giggling.

 

When Amanda asked me what I was giggling about, I whispered it into her ear and she joined me in giggling. When I noticed Tracy looking at us through the “mommy” mirror in the SUV, I just returned a smile.

 

Before I knew it, we were pulling into the parking lot for a grocery store/strip mall. I had been past this area before, usually at Christmas time when looking at Christmas lights, but I didn’t really know the area well.

 

I saw a group of cars parked at the rear of the lot, with what looked like a group of older Teens and younger kids in costume hanging around. The Teens looked to be mostly in one group, whilst the younger kids were in another. It was fun watching the smaller of the younger kids breaking away and bugging the older kids, and just generally bouncing around excitedly.

 

After Tracy parked, and got out of the car, we approached the group of what I assumed were Tracy’s friends. All the girls seemed to hug and were almost as excited as the little ones, whilst the older teen guys seemed to be there begrudgingly.

 

None of the older kids were wearing costumes, although Tracy was dressed somewhat festively in black jeans, and a black t-shirt with a large glow in the dark Orange jack-o-lantern on the front, with a suitably goofy face carved into it. She also wore some orange bangles around her wrist and dangly pumpkin earrings, which complimented the temporary orange streaks in her hair quite well. As we got out of the car, she reached over for her purse and pulled something out of it. It was an inexpensive plastic headband with 2 Pumpkin topped dancing antenna.

 

Amanda and I both giggled and asked her why she was dressed so differently from most her friends whom seemed to be dressed for a party more than Trick-Or-Treat, and she said “I really love Halloween!” and then with a sigh “I wish I wasn’t ‘too old’ to dress up like you, and probably still would have, but my friends had this idea, and I didn’t want to be the only older kid to dress up.”

 

Whilst I was not worried about knowing any of the older Teens, I mean this certainly wasn’t the crowd Denny hung around with, I was certain I would know one of the younger kids our aged. But thankfully that wasn’t true. There were some really younger kids that I recognized from the lower grades, like 3rd an 4th, but no one that I knew, and that made me feel even more at ease.

 

As we approached the groups, Amanda and I stuck with Tracy for saying Hi to her friends. We were about to join the younger group, when one of Tracy’s friends, I think it was Lucy, had what she thought was a great idea.

 

Lucy had us move over beside one of the cars, and then went with 2 of her friends to gather other kids from the other group.

 

When all was said and done, we had a Charming young Aladdin, a very young, Prince Charming, and even a baby in a Genie costume for boys. As for the girls, we had a bit more of a selection. We had Mermaid Ariel whom was wearing a tight green skirt with sequins sewn in and green swim flippers, a Human Ariel wearing a simple pink gown, with her natural flowing red hair and bright blue eyes. There was a store bought Snow White, she was cute, but the costume seemed a bit cheap to me. It had almost a plastic feel to it. There was another store bought costume, Cinderella. It was much nicer quality than Snow White, and then there was another, home made costume, Belle, from beauty in the Beast that was quite Elaborately done. Amanda and I were both in purchased outfits ourselves; they weren't your average store bought costumes though. For the 2nd year in a row Amanda's Dad had acquired the costumes that you could only find in the actual Disney parks.

 

Amanda as Princess Jasmine was in her light blue, sparkly Harem Girl costume that had modesty covering for the translucent bits, which made the costume much less revealing. I was wearing the big, elaborate, Princess Aurora or Sleeping Beauty costume that Amanda had worn last year. It was fairly elaborate with overlays and the petticoats fluffing the pink skirt. The collar was modest, with the white collar only revealing my neck. The shoulders were pink, and pointed up, and there was a translucent sleeve that went all the way down to my wrists.

 

Lucy, Tracy and their friends spent a few minutes arranging us just right, and then took a series of pictures. It was fun as we were asked to do both serious smile poses, but goofy funny poses and whatnot also. The longer the night went on, the calmer I got.

  Trick or Treat

 

After our impromptu photo shoot was over, we all joined the group of the younger kids whilst the older kids started to get ready to leave.

 

In hopes of not inundating each house the big group split into two smaller groups, and each group headed to a different neighborhood.

 

Most of our Disney Princess crowd stayed together. The exception being that Prince Charming, the Mermaid Ariel and the Genie were in the other group. Ariel and Prince Charming were attached to cute girl whom wanted to follow her boyfriend to the other neighborhood.

 

So there were 10 of us ‘kids’ that were left heading into the main drag of the neighborhood behind the grocery store, whilst the other group crossed the large intersection to head to another. So there was Amanda, Myself, Colleen (Human Ariel), Asleigh (Belle), Cathy (Snow White), Robyn (Cinderella), Grace (Tinkerbell), Samantha (a bag of Cotton Candy), Jonathan (Vampire) and Timothy (Buzz Lightyear).

 

In the other group were of course Cindy (Mermaid Ariel), Prince Charming and Genie, along with 2 girl Vampires a Lady Bug, 2 witches a Dora the explorer, a rock chick and a Harry Potter.

 

Trick or Treat was normally a kind of hard holiday for me. Don’t get me wrong, I loved seeing all the costumes and the mini haunted houses, and what kid doesn’t like all the candy and whatnot, but you see, for most kids this holiday is all about being someone else for one day a year, but I always had to pretend to be someone else. But this year was different, for the first time, Trick or Treat meant that I could finally be myself, even if for just one night.

 

All the girls around me were busy talking, including Amanda. I had been introduced to the group as Aurora whom was dressed as Sleeping Beauty. When one of the older girls had been about to blurt out about Sleeping Beauty being Princess Aurora, Tracy mentioned to her how it was an inside joke that I had “dressed up as myself” for the night.

 

I was a little shy at the start of our little venture and tried to hide near the back of the group, but Amanda made sure that that didn’t last long. It was the second or maybe the third house we hit that really changed the tone of the night for me.

 

I wasn’t at the back of the group, but I wasn’t at the front of the group either at that point. I was kind of hiding in plain sight in the middle of the group as it were. This was the best compromise that Amanda I could come up with. She said if I had stood to the back by myself, I would stand out more, and honestly I couldn’t disagree with her. One of the girls went up and knocked on the door, quickly returning to the rest of our group to wait. When the woman opened the door, everyone yelled “Trick-or-Treat!” except me. I was still being a bit shy.

 

Somehow the woman at the door noticed, and said “Wow, what a wonderful group of costumes we have here, but I think your friend Sleeping Beauty there seems to have gone silent.”

 

Everyone turned to me at that point, and  my body took it upon it’s self to betray me and blush violently. Once that was taken care of, I smiled politely and said “Trick or Treat?” and even added a bit of a curtsy.

 

Clumsy as it may have been, it seemed to set of a round of giggles including from the woman at the door. She was so delighted she let us “double dip” into her pot of candy, and the rest of the girls in our little group decided that we should do that at every door from now on.

 

From that point on, I was just another one of the girls. It was easy to get lost in the running banter and rolling conversations. These girls were fun to be around just like Amanda, and I was happy to be there.

 

I had dressed up quite a few times with Amanda and Tracy but we always still hid it from their parents, and of course my Mom so it was only the 3 of us that knew, so it never really felt “real” like it did tonight.

 

It’s funny to think that on the one night a year that most Kids got to dress up and be someone different, someone they weren’t, I finally got to be ME, the REAL ME.

 

The Accident

 

By the time we hit the third neighborhood we were quite tired. We had a lot of energy coming in, but we had covered a lot of ground. Neither of us was willing to admit we were tired, but I’m sure Tracy was able to pick up on the signs. I say this because it was Tracy that decided we should head back to the parking lot, and home. Some of the other kids wanted to keep going, so we said our good byes, and started to head back to the car.

 

Amanda and I had a good haul at that point. I was just so excited at everything that happened, and was just absolutely gushing to Tracy, and we unfortunately weren’t paying much attention.

 

The three of us reached the large intersection and started crossing the street together. I know I should have been holding Amanda’s hand, as Tracy was holding our first candy bags in one hand, but Amanda pulled her hand away for just second to get something out of her bag I thought. Little did I know her bag had actually broke and spilled in the middle of the crosswalk.

 

I remember looking back, and seeing her there, head down. I saw the car coming from down the street and noticed the Cross/Don’t Cross signal had turned to solid “Don’t Cross”. I can clearly remember pulling my hand free of Tracy whom was screaming to Amanda. Amanda looked up terrified of the car she saw coming towards her, and just started to scream. I got to her and pushed her out of the way and then things get kind of blurry.


I can remember a sound of some kind, and I can remember my hands hitting something. I guess it was the sound of the car, and the feeling of my hands hitting the hood. It could have been the feeling of hitting the ground, or even something else. It just feels so weird.


Wait, that’s not right, I mean I’m trying to remember for all I can, and yet, it’s like something doesn’t want me to remember. Sometimes I can occasionally get a glimpse of something. It’s like a light, the lights of the car maybe?

 

Everything is just glances and glimpses. Just a bit of feeling here or a trace of a memory there. The only thing I can remember clearly is the scream. I can hear a girl crying, and sometimes screaming.

 

Wherever I am, I hope she’s ok. I Hope Amanda is ok.

There was another voice in my head. A sweet melodic voice that sounded dearly familiar but that I couldn’t place right then. All it said was “You should have been named Brianna not Brian”

Parent�s, Family and Friends by Julie Christine
Author's Notes:

Aurora


Chapter Three – Parent’s, Family and Friends

 

“What do you mean, they planned this?” Brian’s Mom, Sarah asked with more than a bit of bite to her voice.

“Not the accident, well not the car accident. The Accident with the costume.” Tracy said as she tried to convey both just how sorry she was, and how important Aurora was to the child that lay in the bed.


Dedicated to Kimberly Elizabeth Fox
(08/28/1950 - 06/11/2008)
Without you, I would have never had the courage to share my works. I miss you!

Thanks to Maggie Finson, and Catrina Lochley for your help with story development and charecter ideas. Also thanks to Annette and Karen Page for always encouraging me to continue writing, despite how frustrated I made them. And an added thanks to everyone that has been encouraging me to continue this story. You know who you are! :)
-JC.

 

Aurora

by JulieChristine / Kirstyn Amanda Fox

Chapter Three – Parent’s, Family and Friends

Amanda Tells Her Story

“They tried to make me leave your side” Amanda said softly, to her sleeping friend. “But that just wasn’t going to happen. I don’t think the doctors and nurses like having me here, but there is just no way I am going anywhere.”

I spent most the time crying and apologizing to Aurora and occasionally I would drift off to sleep, and then wake up screaming.

The Hospital insisted on dressing her in one of those ugly blue “boy” gowns, not the Pink one like Aurora deserved, and the name on the charts also read Brian. I was just so pissed. How could they do this to her after everything she did.

She saved me!

My bag had ripped and I had stopped. I stooped down to pick up some of my candy, when I heard Tracy yell my name and looked up. I saw the van headed right for me, and then I felt something soft, hit me, and push me out of the way, about the same time I heard the crunch and her scream.

I can still hear the scream, crunch and thud of her body hitting the van a couple times as she tumbled and then hitting the ground. Even over the sound of the car skidding, and the glass breaking, and the hood being dented, I can remember the sounds Aurora made as she was tossed mercilessly about by the offending vehicle.

I remember throwing up, and seeing the blood, there was just so much. The smell of the brakes, and hot engine mixed with the coppery sweet smell of all the blood probably didn’t help.

I tried to get up but I just couldn’t put any weight on my leg. I wanted to crawl to her, to get to her as fast as I could, but someone stopped me. I must have broken my leg somehow when Aurora pushed me out of the way. The doctors said it wasn’t that bad, but they wanted to keep me over night incase I had a concussion.

They definitely weren’t happy that I wouldn’t stay in my bed, and insisted on being in the chair, and sometimes kneeling on the floor as best I could next to Aurora but I just couldn’t leave her. I just couldn’t leave her alone.

Tracy’s Story

“What do you mean, they planned this?” Brian’s Mom, Sarah asked with more than a bit of bite to her voice. -

“Not the accident, well not the car accident. The Accident with the costume.” Tracy said as she tried to convey both just how sorry she was, and how important Aurora was to the child that lay in the bed.

Tracy sighed with a bit of frustration apparent. She wanted to tell Sarah her story, but it brought forward so many unwelcome memories whenever she did. To Tracy, every time she retold the story, it was like living through it again.

“I was actually their age, when I first noticed that my friend Tommy was different than the other boys” Tracy said timidly. “He was always polite, never rough and tumble, and always seemed to prefer the company of me and my girl friends as opposed to the many boys in our class.”

This was the first time Tracy had ever told this story to anyone other than her parents and later her therapist. Her parents had insisted on the therapy after she had told them.

“When we hit Junior High, Tommy started to get upset very easily. He had a bad temper at times, and when he wasn’t mad and yelling he was just sullen and depressed.”

“Apparently Tommy had been getting teased at school, and especially in the boys locker room, for being a ‘Girly Boy’ as they put it.”

“This had really hit home with Tommy as he soooo wanted to be Tammy. I remember when she confided in me, and told me how much it hurt. How much it truly hurt to watch her body ravage herself as puberty started to happen. She saw it first with the other boys. Their voices started to get deeper, and they started sprouting bits of hair here and there and bragging about it.”

“This above all else scared Tammy. She knew that if she let that happen to herself she would just never be able to be the girl she knew she was inside.” Tracy explained with tears forming. It took all her energy at this point to continue. She needed to tell Tammy’s tale and get the message across to Sara.

“She killed herself,” she said in a barely audible voice just above a whisper. The shock on Sara’s face was obvious.

“Her parents came home, to a note. They found her body, cold and frozen, huddled inside one of the towers of the old steel fort structure. She was in the tallest section, at the look out landing by the long slide at the big park near her house. It was a good place to hide, and she had mentioned she wanted to leave from the last place she had truly been happy.” And at that, Tracy broke down crying. Sara immediately stepped to the young woman before her and embraced  the girl. Doing what she could to console her just seemed to be the right thing to do. She was angry at the deception, but that could wait.

It took several minutes for Tracy to calm down, and when she was able to speak again, she looked cautiously into Sara’s eyes. “I just had to help Aurora. I couldn’t let that happen again, but I also made sure Mom invited you over. I figured at the very least, She would see you not mad, and maybe she would be able to open up to you.”

There was an awkward silence that followed, for  Sara had a lot to think about. The bravery of this Young woman, whom while still just a child herself, had done so much for her youngest.

Sara often wished her eldest child Denny would care about Brian, or was it Aurora now. But at the same time, Sara had her own secret.

Mom’s Got a Secret too

“They tell me you like to be called Aurora” Sara said from her child’s bedside.

For the first time since she had been moved to this room, Sara was alone with her youngest child. Amanda had refused to leave her best friend’s side, Sara wanted so much to talk to her child in private, but just couldn’t bear trying to pry the two apart. It was two days after the accident, and Amanda had to be taken off for some more tests and x-rays as she had complained of more pain in her leg.

Whilst she hoped that nothing was wrong with the girl, the chance to be alone with her child was too good to be true in some ways, and she was slightly relieved when Amanda had agreed to go for some tests.

“They tell me you have been doing this for a while. Tracy tells me that you were afraid to talk to me about this yourself. I don’t know what I did to ever make you think that I wouldn’t be here for you, but I hope you hear me now. I’ll love you as my Daughter or my Son or even if you were an alien from outer space.”

It was hard for Sarah to express such feelings towards her child. It shouldn’t have been, but it was. The once timid boy had, in recent years, brightened up. Sara had known there was something special about the relationship between Amanda and Brian, she had watched her boy open up when around Amanda in a way that he hadn’t opened up to his own Mom. That feeling and knowing hurt her now just as it had then. At least she now knew the reason and was determined to love her child no matter whom he or she was. She just needed the child to wake up and tell her. Tell her with his/her own words.

Sara sat there, lightly squeezing her child’s hands, hoping to feel something, hear something, or gain some kind of response or sign from above. She was lightly weeping, with her eyes closed. With barely a whisper she said something she had held close to her all these years, not wanting her eldest child to find out, and tease her youngest.

“You should have been named Brianna not Brian. That’s the name I chose for you”.

She felt her youngest child’s hand tighten slightly against hers, and immediately ran to get a nurse. Why she didn’t think of using the call button was anyone’s guess.

Denny’s Story

Denny saw his mother run out of the ‘room’ as they called it. It wasn’t really a room, it was more of a glass cubicle. She had run right past him and didn’t even notice him. Just like every other time.

It was always someone else, or even something else. He was supposed to Protect Brian and take care of him, but what about Denny? Who was supposed to take care of Denny? He had needs too.

Sure he was always more rough and tumble than his younger brother, but that didn’t mean that he didn’t sometimes need to cry also.

It was Denny whom was there for mom when Dad left. He knew he had to support her. He also knew in his heart that it wasn’t Brian’s fault that Dad left, but that didn’t make Denny feel any better. Add to that the fact that the little fairy didn’t even remember dad, and you know a bit of Denny’s pain.

He wasn’t even there when the accident happened, and yet he is sure that his mother was going to blame him for what happened. What was he supposed to do for the little fairy? ‘Brian had done this to himself,’ was the main thread in his brain right now. He’s the one that foolishly ran back into the intersection. Sure he didn’t wish any harm upon that Amanda girl, but this was his brother lying there.

Now with all this talk of Brian wanting to be a girl, he was sure that he’d get pushed even further into the background. ‘Just another twist in the maze’ he thought.

He was brooding in the corner, and caught the eye of that cute Nurse. Mandy was her name apparently. Sure she was a bit older than him. Maybe 22 or 23, but she definitely had a ‘sparkle’ to her he thought. His mom was talking animatedly at her when she looked at him, directly at him, and then his Mom came back into the room, and turned around looking out the door she came in through. She looked quite anxious and agitated, he though. ‘Mom always worries about HIM and never me’

Nurse Mandy

Mom was quite agitated in fact. The nurse didn’t seem to think that it was anything worth running to check on, but at the behest of the quite frantic mother, decided to go take the child’s vitals. She had noticed the brother, Denny looking at her, and thought that there might be something going on with him. He was dressed like your standard juvenile delinquent and she could see the nicotine stains on his teeth, but at the same time, it seemed as if he wanted to cry. ‘Perhaps he cares,’ she thought.

Nurse Mandy walked into the room, flashing the older boy, and his Mother a smile. She then turned to the young child still seemingly unconscious in the bed. She checked the machines, to see no significant changes, and then went around checking the leads. She had been taught in cases like this, that it was best to take blood pressure and even pulse manually in order to ease the nerves of the patients family. As he reached down and gently applied pressure with too fingers to the child’s wrist, she herself felt him move. It was almost rhythmical. The child’s head would twitch ever so slightly and then be still again. Mandy took the child’s pule, and verified it against the machine. Everything seemed fine.

Megan Amanda Taylor, (Nurse Mandy to all her pediatric patients) was present when the young boy was brought in, wearing the tattered remains of what appeared to be a Sleeping Beauty dress. She didn’t normally work the ER, and was generally an ICU nurse for the Pediatric ICU ward, but when she saw the child being wheeled in on the gurney, her heart just melted. Having 45 minutes till her shift started, she hung around offering whatever help she could. She thought it quite strange that such a young boy would want to dress as a Disney princess, but ‘To each their own’ she thought, silently vowing to make sure this child got all the care he needed.

 

Chapter Four � Same Stuff Different Dreams� by Julie Christine
Author's Notes:

Aurora

Chapter Four – Same Stuff Different Dreams…

Spotting the two children from the door of her classroom, Miss Taylor walked over and asked, “Well aren’t you adorable. What’s your name sweetie?”

“Brianna,” the little girl said a bit shyly.

“And whom is this young man?” Miss Taylor asked of the little girl.

“This is my big brudder Denny. He’s 8!” she said with pride.

The bond between these two kids was greater than she had ever seen.


Dedicated to Kimberly Elizabeth Fox

(08/28/1950 - 06/11/2008)
Without you, I would have never had the courage to share my works. I miss you!

Thanks to Maggie Finson, and Catrina Lochley for your help with story development and charecter ideas. Also thanks to Annette and Karen Page for always encouraging me to continue writing, despite how frustrated I made them. And an added thanks to everyone that has been encouraging me to continue this story. You know who you are! :)
-JC.

 


Chapter Four – Same Stuff Different Dreams…
 
Docs
 
“It’s Fine” came Dr. Constantine’s reassurance. “By the looks of it, she’s out of the coma, and entered a state of REM sleep,” he said in hopes of calming Sarah’s nerves.

“Thanks Joe,” was Sarah’s reply. She had recently become quite close to Amanda’s parents and felt quite lucky that Joe was a Pediatric Neuro-Surgeon at this hospital. Not that she had anything against the other doctors or anything, but the ability to talk to someone you trusted outside the hospital was just perfect.

Joe could see the flash as Sarah relaxed, and he realized he had taken a load off her mind. “I really would like to know what she’s dreaming about though. That rhythm is quite interesting”.

“Just remember, be quiet and courteous. Waking her probably wouldn’t cause any long term problems at this point, but we want to let her wake on her own as much as possible.” Was Joe’s final statement before smiling and leaving the room.


Little Girls Pt 1

“Mommy, I can’t do this it hurts,” the 6 year old little girl named Brianna called out. She had been trying to brush her hair just like her mother had shown her, but there were just too many knots.

“Maybe we should think about cutting your hair shorter, so that it won’t knot up like this,” her mom suggested.

“NOOOOoooooo,” was the reply that came from the little girl, with the stomping of her left foot. It came with more than a little bit of fear at having her beautiful hair cut short. She felt the long blond hair made her look like a Princess, like her favorite princess in fact.

Mom picked up the hairbrush, and started brushing little Brianna’s hair. Sure she tugged a little, and Brianna flinched, but there was just something about mom brushing her hair that made everything ok.

“BEEEEB BEEEEEEB BEEEEEEEEB BEEEEEEEEEB.” The sound of the smoke detector in the kitchen snapped Brianna out of her bliss.


Moms

What’s that? Mom asked of no one in particular as the machine attached to her daughter started beeping.

At that point, Mandy walked in, and went over to the machine. She pressed a couple buttons to silence the alarm and then went moved over to the child.

With a deftness usually seen only by those with many more years of experience, the young nurse proceeded to re-attach the electrical leads to the young child, whilst doing a basic check for any signs of elevated temperature and other happenings.

“It’s just a loose lead. It happens when they start moving around like this,” Mandy replied, hoping to reassure Sarah.

She noticed Aurora had been perspiring ever so slightly, that probably aided the sticky pads in coming loose. Her temperature was elevated to the touch, so she grabbed the ear canal thermometer from the wall, placed a new cone on the end, and took the child’s temperature. It confirmed there was a slight rise, but nothing to really worry about.

Deciding to error on the side of caution, she smiled at Sarah on her way out the door, and decided to call Dr. Constantine whilst she made the note in the chart.


Bliss

Mom dropped her brush, and instantly grabbed her little girl. She rushed her towards the front of the house and the offending alarm. After seeing Denny by the toaster, scared, and not seeing any flames, or excessive smoke she put her youngest down, and went into the kitchen.

“What happened?” she asked whilst turning off the smoke alarm and hugging her elder child.

I wanted to make toast for you and Brianna. I wanted to help make breakfast since it’s her first day,” he said with a bit of a dejected sniffle.

“I got the cereal and milk and bowls to the table fine, but when I put the toast in the toaster it started smoking,” he said whilst starting to get animated again.

“It’s ok honey,” Mom said reassuringly to her child. “We’ve needed a new toaster for a while. I really wish you would have waited for me though”. She said it with a smile to her voice.

“Smoo,” was little Brianna’s only comment, combined with a little pout.

“I’m sorry mommy,” was Denny’s reply as he hugged his mother back.

Mom kissed her eldest on the forehead then walked away to finish with her youngest’s hair. Just as she was about to grab her daughter, Brianna dodged the embrace and ran to her elder brother. She hugged him tight and chastely, then ran back to her mother.

Mom smiled, knowing that her kids would always have a great relationship, and went to get Brianna ready for her first day of kindergarten.


Nurses

Mandy had only just made it before her shift was due to start and then there was the new intake from the ER just after the ‘handover’ had finished. Normally she would have had time to settle into her routine for the day, but not today.

It hardly felt like a full 8 hours had gone by since she started that morning but as things were slowing down now, she had some time to think.

It was Monday morning. Mandy had heard that Denny was staying with a friend. She knew it wasn’t Dr. Constantine’s family, as his family was here nearly as much as Brian’s mother.

Mandy wanted much to call the child a girl, but the chart said M, and she wanted to make sure it was okay with her young patient first.

Sure she had seen the tattered dress, but that could have been an anomaly.

She entered the child’s room again, to see Sarah dozing in the corner. ‘She really loves this child, but I hope she realizes she has two children that need her,’ she thought, nearly out loud.

After checking the monitors and making sure that she was relatively alone, except for the sleeping mother, she bent down and whispered in the girl’s ear, “You sure are sweet, I wish you’d wake up and tell me your name.”…


Miss Taylor

Denny proudly grabbed his younger sister’s hand and led her down the hallway to her kindergarten class. Miss Megan Taylor was a fairly young new teacher to the school, but when Mom had met her over the summer, she seemed to be a quite a delightful person.

Spotting the two children from the door of her classroom, Miss Taylor walked over and asked, “Well aren’t you adorable. What’s your name sweetie?”

“Brianna,” the little girl said a bit shyly.

“And whom is this young man?” Miss Taylor asked of the little girl.

“This is my big brudder Denny. He’s 8!” she said with pride.

The bond between these two kids was greater than she had ever seen.


Denny

Denny had showed up and woke his mom. He promised to watch Brian whilst she used the restroom and went to grab a snack from the cafeteria.

Sure they both knew the nurses and doctors weren’t going to let him go unwatched even if there was no family there, but he knew his Mom wanted someone Brian knew there just in case he were to wake up.

Denny touched his brother’s arm, tracing down to the hand.

It wasn’t exactly fast, but at the same point it startled Denny. As his hand reached Brian’s hand, Brian grasped it.

It wasn’t tight, and Denny was easily able to remove his hand, but he shed a tear for his brother. He didn’t wish him to be hurt, in fact he wanted Brian to be normal and nothing wrong, because maybe Denny would get a little attention, but at the same time, he didn’t know what to do about Brianna.

 
Big Brudder

Denny removed his hand from his sister’s grasp “You have to be a big girl now. Miss Taylor is a good teacher,” he told her.

Their mother looked on, and couldn’t have been more proud of what she was seeing. She couldn’t have had two better kids than she had now.

Denny waved to his sister, just before joining with his returning friends for his first day of 2nd grade.

Brianna looked at her mother, and hugged her, then offered her hand to her new teacher.

Miss Mandy appeared to be a pleasant woman, and Brianna was ready for her newest adventure.

 
(Not so) Accidental Encounters

“Hey Mandy,” said Susan, one of the other day nurses on shift. They were both in the lunch room, and normally would have eaten together but today Mandy was on a mission.

“Hey Susan, sorry can’t stop and talk today, I need to take care of something,” she said with a sly smile.

“Which patient is your cause this time?” Susan asked with a mock sneer.

“Well, It’s not actually a patient, but more the the family. It’s the boy they brought into the E.R. after Trick or Treat.”

“The boy in the dress?” Susan said with at little less compassion than she meant. Mandy picked up on this and bristled a little.

“Yes,” she said curtly. “But I think his Big Brother is having issues too.”

Noticing the slight change in Mandy’s demeanor, Susan reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. “Listen, if you need anything from me, even if it’s just to talk, I’m here,” she said with a smile.

Mandy softened a little, returned the smile, then continued on with her mission.

She walked over to the table, with the lone woman, and lightly tapped her shoulder. Sarah startled a little then looked up to see the sweet nurse that had been taking such good care of her child.

“Mind if I take this seat?” Mandy asked pointing to the chair next to Sarah.

“No, but I thought spending your lunch with a patients family would be the last thing you would want to do”.

Mandy chuckled a little whilst she took the seat next to Sarah. “Well, much of the time probably, but I… Well…” Mandy had originally planned to lead up to this subtly but Sarah’s comment had set her off guard.

“Well I wanted to talk to you about Denny actually,” Mandy said with an apologetic smile.

Sarah sighed and looked at Mandy. “He’s not as bad as he seems you know. He used to be a sweet kid. I know he’s having some issues, but the therapist I talked to said it was a ‘normal phase’ and I should just let him work through it.”

“Have you noticed he’s smoking?” Mandy asked gently.

“No, he doesn’t smoke, I know his clothes smell like smoke sometimes, but that’s because of the kids he hangs around with,” Sarah replied slightly defensive.

“Look at his teeth sometime. Right now, I think the worst thing you can do is give him space. I think he wants you to notice him, and if you don’t, it’s just going to escalate.”

Sarah started bristling a little. “And you know this because of your years of experience?” was her reply, making obvious reference to the nurse’s young age.

“No,” was Mandy’s flat reply. “I know this, because I saw it in my brother, before he ended up in juvi.” She said it with a seriousness that seems to transcend her age.

“He was a sweet kid, and did good in grade school, and we were about 4 years apart in age. When I got a scholarship to med school, He started to feel left out, and well, started to act out. My parents didn’t seem to notice and felt that he was just being a normal boy, but then when he and his friends got drunk one night and started a fire in an abandoned building where they had went to smoke, my parents started to take notice.”

Sarah was confused, and had no idea how to respond. She wanted to say she was sorry, but she also wanted to think that Mandy was wrong.

There were so many things going around in her head, and then there was the stress of her youngest child lying unconscious upstairs in ICU.

Sarah just couldn’t take anymore and just started crying.

Mandy was quick to Sarah’s side, and pulled a tissue pack from the pocket of her scrubs. Most nurses didn’t think to carry such a thing, but as a Pediatric ICU nurse, she found that it was probably the 2nd most important tool she had.

 
For my Mother

Amanda had finally come back from her tests for that day. Denny was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the girl in the room, and decided to go find his Mother.

She wasn’t usually gone that long, and was wondering what had come up. She would probably be upset at him for leaving Brian, but he figured it would probably be better for Amanda to be there than him should his brother wake up.

He started out of the room, and down the hall towards the elevators when he saw the doors open and Mandy was sort of carrying his mother.

Well not really carrying, but his mother was slumped to her side sobbing.

“What did you do to her?” he screamed as he ran to his Mother.

Sure they had their issues, but Denny still loved his Mother, and wanted to do everything he could to protect her.

Mandy relinquished her hold on Sara, and let Denny take lead, whilst staying near by. “I didn’t do anything,” was her apologetic reply.

“She’s just worried about you, and your sibling, and I think it finally got to her.”

Chapter 5 by Julie Christine
Author's Notes:

Aurora

Chapter Four – Same Stuff Different Dreams…

Spotting the two children from the door of her classroom, Miss Taylor walked over and asked, “Well aren’t you adorable. What’s your name sweetie?”

“Brianna,” the little girl said a bit shyly.

“And whom is this young man?” Miss Taylor asked of the little girl.

“This is my big brudder Denny. He’s 8!” she said with pride.

The bond between these two kids was greater than she had ever seen.


Dedicated to Kimberly Elizabeth Fox

(08/28/1950 - 06/11/2008)
Without you, I would have never had the courage to share my works. I miss you!

Thanks to Maggie Finson, and Catrina Lochley for your help with story development and charecter ideas. Also thanks to Annette and Karen Page for always encouraging me to continue writing, despite how frustrated I made them. And an added thanks to everyone that has been encouraging me to continue this story. You know who you are! :)
-JC.

 


Chapter Four – Same Stuff Different Dreams…
 
Docs
 
“It’s Fine” came Dr. Constantine’s reassurance. “By the looks of it, she’s out of the coma, and entered a state of REM sleep,” he said in hopes of calming Sarah’s nerves.

“Thanks Joe,” was Sarah’s reply. She had recently become quite close to Amanda’s parents and felt quite lucky that Joe was a Pediatric Neuro-Surgeon at this hospital. Not that she had anything against the other doctors or anything, but the ability to talk to someone you trusted outside the hospital was just perfect.

Joe could see the flash as Sarah relaxed, and he realized he had taken a load off her mind. “I really would like to know what she’s dreaming about though. That rhythm is quite interesting”.

“Just remember, be quiet and courteous. Waking her probably wouldn’t cause any long term problems at this point, but we want to let her wake on her own as much as possible.” Was Joe’s final statement before smiling and leaving the room.


Little Girls Pt 1

“Mommy, I can’t do this it hurts,” the 6 year old little girl named Brianna called out. She had been trying to brush her hair just like her mother had shown her, but there were just too many knots.

“Maybe we should think about cutting your hair shorter, so that it won’t knot up like this,” her mom suggested.

“NOOOOoooooo,” was the reply that came from the little girl, with the stomping of her left foot. It came with more than a little bit of fear at having her beautiful hair cut short. She felt the long blond hair made her look like a Princess, like her favorite princess in fact.

Mom picked up the hairbrush, and started brushing little Brianna’s hair. Sure she tugged a little, and Brianna flinched, but there was just something about mom brushing her hair that made everything ok.

“BEEEEB BEEEEEEB BEEEEEEEEB BEEEEEEEEEB.” The sound of the smoke detector in the kitchen snapped Brianna out of her bliss.


Moms

What’s that? Mom asked of no one in particular as the machine attached to her daughter started beeping.

At that point, Mandy walked in, and went over to the machine. She pressed a couple buttons to silence the alarm and then went moved over to the child.

With a deftness usually seen only by those with many more years of experience, the young nurse proceeded to re-attach the electrical leads to the young child, whilst doing a basic check for any signs of elevated temperature and other happenings.

“It’s just a loose lead. It happens when they start moving around like this,” Mandy replied, hoping to reassure Sarah.

She noticed Aurora had been perspiring ever so slightly, that probably aided the sticky pads in coming loose. Her temperature was elevated to the touch, so she grabbed the ear canal thermometer from the wall, placed a new cone on the end, and took the child’s temperature. It confirmed there was a slight rise, but nothing to really worry about.

Deciding to error on the side of caution, she smiled at Sarah on her way out the door, and decided to call Dr. Constantine whilst she made the note in the chart.


Bliss

Mom dropped her brush, and instantly grabbed her little girl. She rushed her towards the front of the house and the offending alarm. After seeing Denny by the toaster, scared, and not seeing any flames, or excessive smoke she put her youngest down, and went into the kitchen.

“What happened?” she asked whilst turning off the smoke alarm and hugging her elder child.

I wanted to make toast for you and Brianna. I wanted to help make breakfast since it’s her first day,” he said with a bit of a dejected sniffle.

“I got the cereal and milk and bowls to the table fine, but when I put the toast in the toaster it started smoking,” he said whilst starting to get animated again.

“It’s ok honey,” Mom said reassuringly to her child. “We’ve needed a new toaster for a while. I really wish you would have waited for me though”. She said it with a smile to her voice.

“Smoo,” was little Brianna’s only comment, combined with a little pout.

“I’m sorry mommy,” was Denny’s reply as he hugged his mother back.

Mom kissed her eldest on the forehead then walked away to finish with her youngest’s hair. Just as she was about to grab her daughter, Brianna dodged the embrace and ran to her elder brother. She hugged him tight and chastely, then ran back to her mother.

Mom smiled, knowing that her kids would always have a great relationship, and went to get Brianna ready for her first day of kindergarten.


Nurses

Mandy had only just made it before her shift was due to start and then there was the new intake from the ER just after the ‘handover’ had finished. Normally she would have had time to settle into her routine for the day, but not today.

It hardly felt like a full 8 hours had gone by since she started that morning but as things were slowing down now, she had some time to think.

It was Monday morning. Mandy had heard that Denny was staying with a friend. She knew it wasn’t Dr. Constantine’s family, as his family was here nearly as much as Brian’s mother.

Mandy wanted much to call the child a girl, but the chart said M, and she wanted to make sure it was okay with her young patient first.

Sure she had seen the tattered dress, but that could have been an anomaly.

She entered the child’s room again, to see Sarah dozing in the corner. ‘She really loves this child, but I hope she realizes she has two children that need her,’ she thought, nearly out loud.

After checking the monitors and making sure that she was relatively alone, except for the sleeping mother, she bent down and whispered in the girl’s ear, “You sure are sweet, I wish you’d wake up and tell me your name.”…


Miss Taylor

Denny proudly grabbed his younger sister’s hand and led her down the hallway to her kindergarten class. Miss Megan Taylor was a fairly young new teacher to the school, but when Mom had met her over the summer, she seemed to be a quite a delightful person.

Spotting the two children from the door of her classroom, Miss Taylor walked over and asked, “Well aren’t you adorable. What’s your name sweetie?”

“Brianna,” the little girl said a bit shyly.

“And whom is this young man?” Miss Taylor asked of the little girl.

“This is my big brudder Denny. He’s 8!” she said with pride.

The bond between these two kids was greater than she had ever seen.


Denny

Denny had showed up and woke his mom. He promised to watch Brian whilst she used the restroom and went to grab a snack from the cafeteria.

Sure they both knew the nurses and doctors weren’t going to let him go unwatched even if there was no family there, but he knew his Mom wanted someone Brian knew there just in case he were to wake up.

Denny touched his brother’s arm, tracing down to the hand.

It wasn’t exactly fast, but at the same point it startled Denny. As his hand reached Brian’s hand, Brian grasped it.

It wasn’t tight, and Denny was easily able to remove his hand, but he shed a tear for his brother. He didn’t wish him to be hurt, in fact he wanted Brian to be normal and nothing wrong, because maybe Denny would get a little attention, but at the same time, he didn’t know what to do about Brianna.

 
Big Brudder

Denny removed his hand from his sister’s grasp “You have to be a big girl now. Miss Taylor is a good teacher,” he told her.

Their mother looked on, and couldn’t have been more proud of what she was seeing. She couldn’t have had two better kids than she had now.

Denny waved to his sister, just before joining with his returning friends for his first day of 2nd grade.

Brianna looked at her mother, and hugged her, then offered her hand to her new teacher.

Miss Mandy appeared to be a pleasant woman, and Brianna was ready for her newest adventure.

 
(Not so) Accidental Encounters

“Hey Mandy,” said Susan, one of the other day nurses on shift. They were both in the lunch room, and normally would have eaten together but today Mandy was on a mission.

“Hey Susan, sorry can’t stop and talk today, I need to take care of something,” she said with a sly smile.

“Which patient is your cause this time?” Susan asked with a mock sneer.

“Well, It’s not actually a patient, but more the the family. It’s the boy they brought into the E.R. after Trick or Treat.”

“The boy in the dress?” Susan said with at little less compassion than she meant. Mandy picked up on this and bristled a little.

“Yes,” she said curtly. “But I think his Big Brother is having issues too.”

Noticing the slight change in Mandy’s demeanor, Susan reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. “Listen, if you need anything from me, even if it’s just to talk, I’m here,” she said with a smile.

Mandy softened a little, returned the smile, then continued on with her mission.

She walked over to the table, with the lone woman, and lightly tapped her shoulder. Sarah startled a little then looked up to see the sweet nurse that had been taking such good care of her child.

“Mind if I take this seat?” Mandy asked pointing to the chair next to Sarah.

“No, but I thought spending your lunch with a patients family would be the last thing you would want to do”.

Mandy chuckled a little whilst she took the seat next to Sarah. “Well, much of the time probably, but I… Well…” Mandy had originally planned to lead up to this subtly but Sarah’s comment had set her off guard.

“Well I wanted to talk to you about Denny actually,” Mandy said with an apologetic smile.

Sarah sighed and looked at Mandy. “He’s not as bad as he seems you know. He used to be a sweet kid. I know he’s having some issues, but the therapist I talked to said it was a ‘normal phase’ and I should just let him work through it.”

“Have you noticed he’s smoking?” Mandy asked gently.

“No, he doesn’t smoke, I know his clothes smell like smoke sometimes, but that’s because of the kids he hangs around with,” Sarah replied slightly defensive.

“Look at his teeth sometime. Right now, I think the worst thing you can do is give him space. I think he wants you to notice him, and if you don’t, it’s just going to escalate.”

Sarah started bristling a little. “And you know this because of your years of experience?” was her reply, making obvious reference to the nurse’s young age.

“No,” was Mandy’s flat reply. “I know this, because I saw it in my brother, before he ended up in juvi.” She said it with a seriousness that seems to transcend her age.

“He was a sweet kid, and did good in grade school, and we were about 4 years apart in age. When I got a scholarship to med school, He started to feel left out, and well, started to act out. My parents didn’t seem to notice and felt that he was just being a normal boy, but then when he and his friends got drunk one night and started a fire in an abandoned building where they had went to smoke, my parents started to take notice.”

Sarah was confused, and had no idea how to respond. She wanted to say she was sorry, but she also wanted to think that Mandy was wrong.

There were so many things going around in her head, and then there was the stress of her youngest child lying unconscious upstairs in ICU.

Sarah just couldn’t take anymore and just started crying.

Mandy was quick to Sarah’s side, and pulled a tissue pack from the pocket of her scrubs. Most nurses didn’t think to carry such a thing, but as a Pediatric ICU nurse, she found that it was probably the 2nd most important tool she had.

 
For my Mother

Amanda had finally come back from her tests for that day. Denny was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the girl in the room, and decided to go find his Mother.

She wasn’t usually gone that long, and was wondering what had come up. She would probably be upset at him for leaving Brian, but he figured it would probably be better for Amanda to be there than him should his brother wake up.

He started out of the room, and down the hall towards the elevators when he saw the doors open and Mandy was sort of carrying his mother.

Well not really carrying, but his mother was slumped to her side sobbing.

“What did you do to her?” he screamed as he ran to his Mother.

Sure they had their issues, but Denny still loved his Mother, and wanted to do everything he could to protect her.

Mandy relinquished her hold on Sara, and let Denny take lead, whilst staying near by. “I didn’t do anything,” was her apologetic reply.

“She’s just worried about you, and your sibling, and I think it finally got to her.”

This story archived at http://tgfiction.net/viewstory.php?sid=182