Menu Load Error

- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

stories/222/images/SLC_Title.jpg

Matilda finally breaks out of her shell, now her problems really begin.

Will her uncanny mind and intellect get her into trouble ... once again?

 

 

I would like to thank my dear friends,

Angel O’Hare, Karen Page Holly H Hart and Joni W.

for their kindness, help, support and input.

 

 

 

Raised In SLC

Chapter 6

 

 

By Penny Reed Cardon

 

 

The weekend held for me its own unique challenges.  Of course, I’m still forced to accept the disciplinary action for eating like a pig, hee hee.  I have to make a fuss, complain, argue and eventually beg about not having to use the baby-sized fork and spoon at each meal.  Mom of course never gives in, after all, how could she.  We giggle about it when we’re alone, while planning the strategy and tactics to be used at the next meal.

Rachael and I met Mary Beth at Liberty Park.

“Mary Beth, Mary Beth, you have to see the silverware that Matilda has to eat with," Rachael squealed, as soon as we were close enough to be heard, but not overheard.  "They're the tiniest things I've ever seen," giggled Rachael, between each word the whole time she was talking.

"Matilda, just what is she talking about?”  Mary Beth asked.

"Mary Beth, it's really nothing . . ." I started.

“According to mom," Rachael interrupted, "She’s making Matt use them to teach him a lesson.  She says that he needs to learn, that he’s not to eat like a pig.  Mom said that his table manners were just so bad at lunch on Thursday that he’ll have to use those baby-sized utensils until Monday.  I don't know what it's all about, cuss on Thursday Matilda was, was . . . Well, she wasn't home, anyway she won't tell me what's really going on."

The three of us were sitting on the grass, in our seldom-visited area of the park, as Rachael’s mouth was going ninety miles an hour.  I’d been trying to keep the details about my training, how to be a girl, low key.  I was a little embarrassed and just hung and shook my head.

"Well Matilda," Mary Beth started, as she snuggled up next to me and put an arm around me, "What's this all about?"

"Mary Beth, it's just something that I have to do," I said, trying not to say too much.

"All right girl, remember this is me you're talking to, Mary Beth.  I’m your bestest friend in the whole world.  I'm the one who's always protected you, comforted you, loved you and cared for you all these years.  Do you remember the promise made to each other, that we wouldn't keep anymore secrets from each other?"

"But Mary Beth, I promised not to talk about it," I whispered.

Through this whole conversation, I sadly hung my head.  Then Mary Beth slowly lifted my chin so she could look into my eyes.  When I once again looked into those beautiful, loving, soft green eyes of my dear friend Mary Beth, I couldn't help myself.  I through my arms around her waist and started crying on her shoulder, sobbing would probably be more accurate.

I forgot about where we were, about the fact that Rachael was with us.  I forgot about everything except that my dear friend Mary Beth was holding me in her, safe, strong, protective arms once again.  Mary Beth loves me as no one else does.  I managed, between sobs, to tell Mary Beth everything that had happened to me over the last four days.  I told her about going to see Amanda Reynolds.  The things she did, and how she turned me into a beautiful girl.  I also told her how I’d fainted when I saw myself in the mirror; I couldn’t believe that I could be the beautiful girl, that I saw.  I told her about our shopping trip to the Crossroads Mall.  About how scared I’d been when I had to use the ladies restroom.  I forgot that I wasn't supposed to talk about Immigration Manor and told her about Miss. Baker and learning to talk like a girl, and about Beca and learning to walk with a book on my head.  I told her about having to learn to eat like a girl, which is why I was using the tiny fork and spoon.  I even told Mary Beth about when Miss Adams taught me how to tuck my privates out of sight, so I would look like a girl down there.  I cried harder as I told her how humiliated I had been, standing naked in front Miss Adams.  I cried as I told her all the details of the past four days.  After I’d finished sobbing through my sad tale, I just clung to Mary Beth as I continued to cry my heart out.

After a while, I felt someone else’s arms surround me.  I looked up through my tearful eyes and saw the sweet smiling face of my mother.  How did she get here?  Did Rachael go get her or had Mom just sensed that I needed her?  I didn't care, my Mother was here and nothing else mattered.  I let go of Mary Beth and threw my arms around my Mother.

"Oh Mommy," I sobbed.

"There, there, it's all right Matilda, it's all right . . ."  Even with Mom's gentle touch and soothing voice it took me quite a while to settle down so that I could once again make intelligent sounds.  "Well Matilda, you’ve had quite a cry.  Do you feel better now, sweetheart?"

I could only nod, as I was afraid that if I started talking I'd start crying again.

"Matilda, I suspect you've been keeping a lot bottled up inside, haven’t you dear?”

I just nodded in response to Mom’s question.

“Dear you know that it’s not healthy to keep your emotions bottled up like that.  You have to talk with someone about how you’re feeling.  You're going through many changes right now.  Along with that change will be a lot of emotional stress and the need for an emotional relief valve.  Sweetheart you have to talk with someone about how you’re feeling.  It doesn't matter if it's me or Jill, Ellen or Beca, it’s even okay to talk with Mary Beth if you feel more comfortable talking to her, just remember your promise to Ellen.  It's not that who you're talking to is going to solve your problems, but just talking about what's going on will be emotionally beneficial.  You don't want to suddenly break down sobbing in the middle of Mary Beth's party do you?"

"No Mom, I wouldn't want anything like that to happen,” I said.  “It’s kind of strange, but you know I do feel a lot better now.  I know this sounds crazy, but I feels like a huge weight has been taken away, as if something that had been stopping me from growing is suddenly gone.  Mom does that make any sense?"

"Yes dear, it makes a lot of sense.  Sometimes we keep things bottled up inside us creating limitations; they seem very real, but only in our mind. These limitations can keep us from growing and reaching our full potential.  It usually takes some kind of emotional impact to help us break free of these self-imposed limitations.  You may have reached a point where you simply couldn't progress.  With all the changes that you have been experiencing lately, your mind has probably been running into those limitations.  Knowing that it needed to grow, but those limitations were trying to prevent that growth.  The changes you’re going through must have required that you break through those limitations, emotionally break down those barriers that were trying to prevent you from growing.  I suspect that from now on there will be no limit to your abilities.  I’m sure that you will no longer be the shy timid child I once knew.  He was such a tiny thing back then, but he was full of wonder and a craving to learn and experience all mysteries of life.  You know Matilda, I think I'm going to miss that little boy of mine, the one I used to cuddle up with and read mystery stories to."

I looked up at Mom; she had tears in her eyes.  "Oh Mom, I love you so much.  You can read to me any time you want," I said while hugging her tightly.

"Oh Matilda, I love you too dear."

Rachael and Mary Beth were close by listening to every word.  Mom and I just sat there and hugged each other for several minutes before either of us moved.

"Mary Beth," Mom said, changing the subject and becoming serious.  "I don't know exactly what Matilda told you while she was emotionally out of control.  However, whatever she told you, you must keep to yourself.  I know how close you and Matilda are, and I know you've promised to keep Matilda's secret.  I realize that what I'm about to tell you will probably not make sense right now, but this is very important.  Anything Matilda told you, you can never tell anyone else, and I do mean never.  Matilda's or someone else's life may depend on you keeping our secret.”

"Mrs. C what are you saying?" Mary Beth asked nervously.

"Just that Matilda may have said some things she shouldn't have," Mom said.

"I'm still not sure what's going on, but if you say it's important Mrs. C and it will help Matilda, or anyone else, then you have my word.  I'll never talk about it with anyone," Mary Beth swore.

"Oh, thank you Mary Beth,” I said.  “I didn't mean to unload on you like that.  I'm really sorry to have gotten you involved in something you might not be ready for."

"Now you hold it right there Matilda.  You can unload on me any time you need to.  I've told you before, and I'll tell you again.  I've always known that you're special, and you’re very special to me.  I don't care if you're Matt or Matilda; I love you for the special person that you are.  I would do anything in the world that you asked me to, just because it's you doing the asking."

"Oh Mary Beth, you're the one that's special.  Thank you so much.  I love you too," I said while hugging my dear friend.

"Hey Matilda," Rachael said in that high-pitched voice that she only uses when she's teasing someone.  "What about Paul?  By the way that you were talking about him on Wednesday, I thought you were in love with him."

"Paul?” Mary Beth asked, ”Paul who?"

"Um . . . Paul Smith," I answered shyly.

"Paul Smith, that really cute boy that’s in the fifth grade?"  Mary Beth asked excitedly.  "Well I guess when school starts he'll be in the sixth grade.  Matilda, you have a thing for Paul Smith.  Wow!  That's just so weird.  I do too.  Do you think there’s enough of him to share?"

We hugged again while giggling.  Mom broke us apart with her announcement as to why she’d come to the park.  She was on a mercy mission.

"Well girl's just look at the time.  Shall we go home and get some lunch?  Oh Mary Beth you're invited as well.  I assume you've heard about Matilda's, umm, training utensils?"

"Oh yes Mrs. C. I remember that part of Matilda's story.  It should be fun to see her in action," said Mary Beth while giggling.  "What's for lunch, if you don't mind my asking?"

"Not at all.  As you know Matilda is kind of limited on what she can eat so were having chicken gravy over rice with mixed vegetables."

"That sounds great Mrs. C.  Um I’m just a little curious, Matilda’s utensils, just how small are they?" asked Mary Beth.

"Well let's put it this way," mom explained, "You’ll take about twenty minutes to eat your lunch.  It will take Matilda about two hours to consume the same amount of food.  Of course, she doesn't stay at the table that long.  She’s just eating less.  I'm guessing she's going to lose about five pounds this weekend."

"Oh Mom, it's not that bad and I'm not losing any weight.  At least I'd better not, if I do I’m going to need some new clothes," I said.  "Hey maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea, shopping for new clothes can be fun."

"Don't get too excited about going shopping," Mom said.  "There's no time for shopping with everything else that's going on.  Well now girls, shall we go have lunch?"

"Sure thing Mom, hey Mom, are Karen or Chuck at home?" I asked.

"No, they're both off with friends and Dad's left for the day as well.  So you don't need to make a fuss about your small utensils this time."

"Oh gee whiz Mom, you're taking all the fun out of it," I complained, trying not to smile.

"Eating with baby sized utensils is fun?" asked Mary Beth.

"Of course not, using those small utensils is a real drag.  It's making a fuss about it that's fun," I answered while giggling.

"Oh you," Mom said, while playfully swatting at my bottom as we walked home.

Soon we were home eating lunch.

"My stars Matilda, those really are small," Mary Beth, said when she saw the actual size of the utensils I’d been using for the last two days.

"Well thanks a lot best friend of mine.  How about showing a little moral support?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" asked Mary Beth nervously.

Being that I’d been using the spoon, I picked up the still clean fork and offered it to Mary Beth.  "Join me?" I asked while giggling.

Mary Beth took the fork and looked at it suspiciously.  "Well, if you can manage to eat with something this small, then I can too."

We spent the next couple of hours in a contest trying to see who could eat their lunch while making the least mess.  The problem was we couldn't stop giggling, and the mess ended up being more than twice what one girl would have made.

"Well Matilda, I'm not sure what you're supposed to be learning by using these, but I've never had so much fun eating lunch," Mary Beth exclaimed.

"I’m supposed to get into the habit of taking small bites.  To be honest Mary Beth, this is the first time I've had fun with them.  At most, meals I have to complain about using them.  Thanks for helping me see what I've been missing."

"Hey, it was my pleasure.  Say Matilda, are you sure there's no way I can meet the real you before next Saturday?"

"I don't see how you can Mary Beth.  I get dressed just before Mom and I leave in the morning, and I change back into Matt as soon as we get home.  I guess if you came over one morning next week to get Rachael we'd have a few minutes to chat before Mom and I have to leave."

"That would be just great.  What time should I come over?"

"I guess about 8:15 would be about right.  Let’s talk with Mom though, just to see what she thinks about the idea."

After we cleaned up the mess we'd made with our lunch, we went to talk to Mom.  We found her in her sewing room.

"Hello girls, finally finished your lunch I see," Mom said, chuckling.

"Yes Mom, it’s lots more fun with Mary Beth here," I said.

"Well I umm, noticed.  Maybe we should invite her over for every meal.  Of course she’d have to stay the whole day as you two take so long to eat.”

"Oh Mom, we weren't in there that long," I said.

"Well dear, you normally give up after about an hour.  The two of you spent almost two and a half hours eating and talking, but mostly you spent the time giggling," Mom said.  She laughed as she saw the expressions on our faces.

"What time is it?" asked Mary Beth.

"It's almost 3:30 girls, you two started eating about 1:00."

"Oh my goodness, I need to get home," exclaimed Mary Beth.

"Mom, before Mary Beth leaves, we’re wondering if there is a way that she can meet the real Matilda.  I told her the only way would be to come over in the morning, just before we leave.  What do you think about that idea?"  I asked.

"That would be okay.  Everyone else is usually gone by then.  You two would be able to talk for a few minutes.  Then Mary Beth and Rachael could walk back to her house as we leave for the, um well, as we leave.  How does that sound to you Mary Beth?" Mom asked.

"That'll work out just great.  I won't be able to see you tomorrow Matilda, but I'll see you about 8:00 Monday morning.  Is that too early?" asked Mary Beth.

"Oh Mary Beth, 8:00 will be just great.  We'll see you Monday morning," I said as I saw Mary Beth out.

The rest of the weekend passed uneventfully.  Of course, I still had to use my training utensils at each meal.  That didn’t bother me too much because I was able to wear my frilly underwear and nighties to bed.

Before I knew it, Monday morning had arrived.  There were no trumpets, bugles or fanfare; it was just another beautiful Monday morning.  I really like my room being on the east side of the house because I get to enjoy each beautiful sunrise.

Dad left for work just before 7:30 as usual.  Mary Beth arrived a little after 8:00.   As soon as Chuck saw Mary Beth he got out of the house as fast as he could, he was complaining about a house full of girls again.  About 8:30, I was starting to get very nervous, as Karen wasn't looking like she had plans to go anywhere.  My problem is that time waits for no man or girl in this case.  I needed twenty minutes to change and do my makeup, and it takes another forty minutes to drive to the Manor.  I went looking for Mom to find out what she knew about Karen’s plans.  I found Mom in the kitchen.

"Mom, what's with Karen today?  She's usually gone by now.  I can't get ready for school while she's here," I whispered.

"I don't know what's going on, but I'll find out.  In the meantime, why don't you get your clothes and go into my room and change.  Do your makeup the best you can and put on your wig.  Then wait in my room until I come for you," Mom instructed.

"Okay Mom, what will we do if Karen's still here when its time to leave?" I asked.

"I'm not sure; maybe it's time to introduce Karen to Matilda.  I'm sure we can trust her to keep our secret," Mom said, somewhat thinking aloud.

"I hope you're right Mom.  It's way too soon for anything to leak to Dad," I said, obviously nervous and starting to shake, although not as much as I used to.

"Don't start this now; you won't be able to do your makeup property.  If we do have to tell Karen, I want you to look your best," Mom said as she put her arms around me.  Mom and I hugged each other for a few seconds, and then I looked up at her and smiled.

"You're right Mom.  I’d better just concentrate on today and let tomorrow, take care of tomorrow."

I got my plaid skirt, white blouse, knee socks and sneakers.  I'd managed to sneak into Mom's room without Karen seeing me, or the bundle I held in my arms.  Darn!  Now I’ve gone and wrinkled everything.  Oh well I guess there are worse things in life than having to wear a wrinkled blouse.  After getting dressed, I did my best at applying my makeup, not as well as Mom would have done.  All in all not too bad though, considering this is the first time I’ve done it completely by myself.  The wig went on easily.  I quickly brushed it out, and it looked great.  I slowly turned the doorknob and pulled open the bedroom door just a crack, hoping to hear Mom talking to Karen.  Shoot! I couldn't hear anything; I closed the door and waited.  Waiting is one of the hardest things for me to do.  I nervously paced back and forth, back and forth.  Slowly the second hand on Dad's 'Lionel' alarm clock ticked off the seconds.  It seamed like it had been an hour, but the clock had only advanced five minutes.  Finally, the door opened and Mom came in. 

"Matilda, are you ready; there's someone here that would like to meet you," Mom said with a smile.  "Matilda, you've done a very good job with your makeup.  You still need a little practice, but very good for the first time doing it without help."

"Thanks Mom, you're a great teacher.  I couldn't have done this without you," I said.

Mom held out her right hand to me.  I nervously put my left hand into hers.  Mom just smiled.

"Matilda," Mom said softly.  "Please relax dear.  Everything is all right, you'll see."

I just couldn't relax, but I forced myself to smile.

"That's better; now please close your eyes dear."

Suddenly my smile vanished and my eyes were wide open, with fear.

"Now Matilda, would I let anything bad happen to you?"

"No Mom, you love me too much to let anything bad happen to me.  Something scary enough that I may have to go and change my panties, YES.  But not something bad,” I said with a giggle.

"All right then, put a smile on your face and close your eyes, because we've got to get going."

I summoned up all the courage I could muster and did as Mom asked.  She led me out of her bedroom and we turned left, so I knew we were going into the living room.  I felt the floor change from the hardwood floor of the hall to carpet, so I knew when we entered the living room.

"Oh Matilda you look fabulous!"

I'd recognize that voice anywhere.  I started to open my mouth to say hello to Mary Beth when I heard another voice I recognized.

"Yea, for a little squirt you do look pretty good."

My eyes snapped open, and I rushed over and threw my arms around my sister Karen.

"Oh Karen, thank you, thank you," I said.

"Hey relax squirt.  Just because I said you look pretty good doesn't mean you need to get all mushy," Karen said, trying to pry my arms loose from around her waist.

"But that means you're okay with this.  I mean you're okay with me?" I said excitedly.

"Well it did take a lot of talking by Mom, Rachael and your friend Mary Beth.  Who, by the way would appreciate your hugs a lot more than I do," Karen said, as she finally pried me loose from her waist.  "And after listening to everything they said, it does make a lot of sense.  All the goofy things you do, the friends you have and the strange way that you talk.  I guess you probably should be a girl.  I hate to say this, but after listening to what everyone said and seeing you like this . . . Shoot squirt, you make a better girl than I do, or probably ever will."

"Thanks Karen.  Coming from you that means a lot.  That's probably the closest you've ever come to giving me a complement.  You're not upset are you, because I'm wearing makeup and you're not allowed to yet?"

"MAKEUP?  Why on earth would I want to wear makeup?  Now if you were a bit bigger I'd probably ask for your clothes.  Being that yours are way too small for me, I guess I'll have to settle for Chuck's hand - me - downs."

"That's okay Karen.  I still think it's a complement.  Who knows in a few years you may change your mind, and I'll be able to give you tips on how to be a ‘Proper Young Lady’," I said, with a smile and a giggle while quoting Mrs. Adams.

"Yea okay, whatever squirt.  Just do me a favor and wait for me to ask you okay?  Just don't hold your breath, and go easy on the hugging squirt," Karen said.

"Okay Karen it's a deal," I said.

Karen shook her head and went back into the family room to watch TV, probably wrestling or Monster Trucks.  Maybe they do make mistakes in heaven, sending down girl spirits into boy bodies and vise-versa.  Maybe Karen and I are in the wrong bodies.  Oh well, too many questions for this little blond head.

Suddenly I felt someone's arms around me, squeezing me so tight that my private world of thoughts burst, I suddenly found myself thrust back into reality.  I do mean squeezing!

"Oh Matilda you really are as pretty as Rachael said you are.  We’re just going to have so much more fun together," Mary Beth squealed, as she was squeezing the stuffing out of me.

"Mary Beth, please take it easy.  If you don't stop squeezing me so tight, the only fun you’re going to have is watching my eyes pop out," I managed to say, which was good considering I couldn't breathe.

Mary Beth loosened her grip, but did not let go. "Oh I'm sorry Matilda, I'm just so excited.  You've been my bestest friend for so many years.  I always knew there was something special about you, and now that I see you like this, I can't help but be excited."

"Mary Beth, I'm sure that you and Matilda have lots to talk about and lots of plans to make," Mom interrupted.  "But right now Matilda and I have to get going, she’s already going to be late so we do have to be running along."

"Oh my goodness with all this excitement I almost forgot," I said.  "Excuse me Mary Beth; I need to go get my training utensils.  They need to go back today."

I dashed into the kitchen and got the utensils out of the dishwasher.  From there I could see Karen in the family room, just as I suspected, Monster Trucks.  I went in and gave her another small hug.

"What's that for," she said, trying to brush me away.

"That's just to say I love you and thanks for accepting me."

"Hey no problem squirt.  If you want to be my sister instead of my brother, that's just fine.  I think you'll make a better sister anyway.  Just stop with all this mushy stuff, okay?"

"Okay Karen I'll take it easy on the hugging.  But I do need to ask you a favor."

"What's that squirt?  Hmm, I guess squirt isn't going to work anymore is it; well I’ll work on that later.  Anyway what's the favor?"

"I need you to keep this a secret, about me being Matilda I mean.  Dad doesn't know, Mom thinks it's going to take several months of gentle persuasive talking to get him ready to accept me."

"Sorry squirt, but knowing Dad, it'll probably take something with a little more kick than talking.  Mom should get herself a 50 caliber machinegun," Karen said with a laugh.  "But your secret is safe with me."

"Thanks Karen, you're the greatest.  You know, you probably would make a good brother."

"Wow! A sister and a complement in the same day.  What's the world coming to?"  By the smile on Karen's face, I knew that she’s just being sarcastic.  Her smile faded fast when I tried to give her another hug.  "Get out of here squirt, you crazy little . . . Whatever you are.  Go on now, scoot."

I giggled and went back into the living room.  I gave Rachael and Mary Beth hugs, and then Mom and I left for the Manor.

Beca met us as we got out of our car.

"You're late.  Is everything okay?" Beca asked.

"Oh yes, everything's just terrific," I told Beca, as we scurried off to my room.  We were moving so fast I couldn't talk, but as soon as we got to my room, I opened up.  I told her about my weekend, about my long talk with Mary Beth while I cried on her shoulder.  I told Beca how everything I'd been keeping inside of me all boiled out while Mary Bath was holding me.  Then I told Beca about this morning and how we had to introduce Karen to Matilda.  How surprised I was at how well she responded to the news.  I’d been so preoccupied talking to Beca that I didn't notice that I'd completely changed my clothes in front of her.  It wasn’t until I sat on the edge of the bed to put on my shoes and socks that I realized what I'd done.

"Did I just do what I think I did?" I asked Beca.

"You sure did, you stripped down, tucked and got dressed without even thinking about it," Beca chuckled.

"Oh well, so much for being shy around you," I said, as I finished putting on my shoes and socks.

"Hey sis I told you, you didn’t need to be shy around me.  After all we do have the same equipment," Beca said.  "But only for a few more years."

"What do mean 'only for a few more years'?" I asked curiously.

"Well I can't have my SRS until I'm eighteen."

"What's SRS?"

"You've never heard of Sexual Reassignment?'

"No!"

"Oh my,” Beca said.  “I tell you what Matilda, I’m not sure that I’m the right person to give you that kind of information.  I tell you what, tuck that away into the back of your mind, and we'll discuss it later, okay?"

"Well okay, but I won't forget.  I guess we should get to class," I said as I finished with my shoes.

After we arrived at my voice lesson Beca excused herself.  She said she had an urgent matter to take care of.  She said she'd be back before my voice lesson ended, but if she’s late, I should wait for her.

‘I wonder what could have come up so suddenly.  Could it have anything to do with what I told her about my weekend?  Oh well I guess if there’s anything that I need to know Beca will tell me.’

My lesson with Miss Baker went very well.  She helped me so much with the vocal qualities of my speech.  She told me that I've progressed so quickly that by the end of the week only an experience linguist would be able to tell that I wasn't born and raised as a girl.  True to her word, Beca returned just as my time with Miss Baker ended.  I'd expected to go to lunch, instead Beca directed me to the administration building.

"What's going on Beca?  I thought we'd be going to lunch after my voice lesson."

"Something important has come up; Ellen wants to see you right away."

"So what's it all about?"

"Ellen will tell you."

‘Good grief, my third day here and I'm in trouble already.  At least this time I know it's not for having fun on the school's computer system or breaking through the firewall again.  I haven't been in a regular class so it's not for shouting out the answers so fast that no one else has a chance.  That only leaves one possibility, my talk with Mary Beth.  Oh well, whatever is going to happen, will happen.’

Soon we were at Ellen's office and Beca knocked.  "Just a moment," Ellen called out.

We waited for about five minutes before Ellen opened the door, asking us to come in and take a seat, directing us to the chairs in front of her desk.  Ellen naturally sat in the leather chair behind her desk.

"Matilda," Ellen started, "Beca tells me you had an interesting weekend.  Would you tell me about it please?"

"Well, I guess you're referring to Saturday morning in Liberty Park, with Mary Beth and Rachael?" I asked softly.

"Yes that and also this morning before coming here."

"Well, this morning Karen didn't go off to see her friends as usual.  We ended up having to introduce her to the real me.  Oh, she reacted so well.  All of these years she's been acting like the tough tomboy, but she’s actually very kind and understanding.  Just don't tell her I said that, she'll flatten me," I said with a giggle.  "Mary Beth was there as well, she was so excited to see me.  I think that she squeezed so hard I may have cracked a rib or two.  Anyway, everything this morning went really well.  Karen knows that Mom and I are gone during the day, but she has no idea where we go or what were doing."

"That's what I understand from what your Mother said," Ellen replied.  "So tell me about Saturday."

"Well, on Saturday, Rachael and I met Mary Beth at the park.  There is this particular area of the park where almost nobody goes.  We’ve never seen the grass matted down; there are no trees or shade, so most people avoid it.  So that's were we meet so we can talk without anyone else around.  We met up about 10:00 in the morning.  Rachael was laughing her head off as she told Mary Beth about the small utensils I’d been using.  Mary Beth wanted to know why I was using them.  I told her it’s just something I needed to do and it was really no big deal.  I guess I was a little sad and my head was hanging down a bit.  Then Mary Beth took me in her arms, she lifted my chin so she could look into my eyes.  All of a sudden, I started crying and couldn’t stop.  I've always felt so safe and protected, whenever Mary Beth wrapped her arms around me.  It’s not like when Mom hugs me.  I really can’t explain it.  I just feel something different when Mary Beth’s arms are around me.  Anyway, I guess all the stress of the week before, and all my emotions caught up with me, along with my dear friend holding me so close.  I just couldn't stop crying, I remember most of what I told her, but I don't know if I remember everything.  Maybe if Rachael were here she could fill in the missing pieces."

"Your mother and the school's administrator are on there way to talk with Rachael, and if possible Mary Beth as well," Ellen said.

"This is that serious?  You're bringing Rachael and Mary Beth here?"

"No, they won’t be brought here.  There just going to talk with them privately, probably at your home.  Rachael has only been here once and probably doesn't remember the way.  Mary Beth has never been here and they wouldn't bring her here unless it’s deemed necessary, and yes Matilda, any breach of security is deemed extremely serious.  Remember what I told you last Wednesday about the very existence of this school being a closely guarded secret.  No one is to be told about this school."

"I don't think I told Mary Beth it’s a school.  I don’t think I use the schools name, and I know I didn't describe how to get here.  I’m pretty sure I only told her the names of some of the teachers and what I had to do."

"Well, if that's the case, there won't be a problem.  As long as Mary Beth doesn't know the name or location of the school, all they’ll do is talk to them and everything will be fine," Ellen said.  "Thank you for being honest with me Matilda.  That’s something we expect of everyone that comes here.  Girls, it's going to be at least an hour before we hear anything.  You might as well go and get your lunch now.  Beca, after you’ve had your lunch please take Matilda back to her room.  Matilda, I’d like you to go ahead and change into your clothes.  Then I'd like both of you come back here.  I have a test I want you to take Matilda, which will take about two hours.  We should also have some news about Rachael and Mary Beth by then."

"All right Ellen.  We'll see you in about an hour," Beca said.

Beca and I got up to leave.  As we got to her office door I stopped, turned and went back to stand in front of Ellen.

"Ellen, I'm really very sorry.  I didn't mean to cause any trouble," I said humbly.

"Oh, I know you didn't dear.  It'll be all right, Matilda, and everything will work out.  Now go and get your lunch dear," Ellen said with a smile.

As I got back to the door where Beca waited for me, she put her arms around me and gave me a hug.  I really needed that right then.  She kept one arm around me as we went back to the cafeteria.

There wasn't anyone in the cafeteria when we got there.  We went into the kitchen looking for one of the staff, but we didn't see anyone at all.  What we found were a couple of plates with sub sandwich's, chips and bananas, covered with plastic wrap and a note -

Mr. Roberts

Beca and Matilda were with me during lunch.  Would you please leave out something for them on the lighter side please?  I'm sure neither one will feel like eating much, but they will need something.

Thank You.

Ellen H.

"Ellen thinks of everything doesn't she," I said soberly.  Beca just nodded, as we picked up our plates and went to a table to sit down.

"I'm sorry about all of that Matilda, but after you told me about your weekend, telling me you'd told Mary Beth everything; I had to tell Ellen.  We all like this school, nobody wants to move again."

"What do you mean, move again?" I asked.

"Well, Ellen didn't say anything, but according to what I've heard from the older students, the biggest reason the school had to be moved from the Ohio facility was do to a major breach in security."

"Beca, I've wanted to ask a question, but don't really know who would be the right person to ask."

"What question would that be?"

"Well, I'm not sure you're the right person to ask either but . . . What kind of school is this really?"

"Matilda, what do you mean?"

"Before I answer that question let me tell you a little more about me.  My teachers at Whittier Elementary have told my parents several times that I'm the most intelligent student they've seen in many years.  They say I should be advanced a year, maybe two, so I will find school challenging and interesting, instead of too easy and boring.  Either that or I should be in a private school.  Mom won't let them advance me because of my size.  She thinks the problems I have at school, you know, always tormented and picked on by the bullies, would only get worse.  Dad says that if his taxes pay for public education then that's good enough.  Even though Dad won't send me to a private school, I've checked out several via the internet on the school's computer.  I can't have one at home anymore.  Of course, I did get into trouble for breaking through the schools firewall."

“You did what to the school’s computers?” Beca asked.

“I found a hole in the software firewall and snuck outside the school system to do a search on private schools within a two hundred mile radius.  I studied all the different schools; I remember most of their names.  You know I don’t remember this one showing up in any of the searches.  Anyway, back to my question.  I'm talking about the security around here.  Of all the schools, I checked out, none of them have this kind of security.  I mean, the security around here is what I'd expect to see around a top secret military installation or at least something along that line."

‘Well, now I’ve done it.  I just jumped in with both feet.  I just hope it's not too deep, and I hope its water and not quicksand.'

"Matilda, there are times when it's best to not ask too many questions."

I started to ask another question when Beca beeped.  She hung and shook her head, then she slowly reached into the pocket in her skirt and pulled out a pocket computer.  It looked a lot like the one I'd seen Ellen use last week.

"Well that's the end of lunch; Ellen wants us back in her office right away.  She says that it doesn't matter how you're dressed, as long as you’re dressed," Beca said as she read message on the screen.

"Beca how long have you had that pocket computer?"

"My PDA, I received it my second day here.  Everyone here has one; they’re linked to the schools systems.  However, you didn't see it; you don't know about them and will never discuss them with anyone.  Is that understood?"

"Yes Beca, I think I’m starting to understand," I said.

‘I now knew almost more than I wanted, not an answer to the question I'd asked.  Then again, maybe the lack of an answer was actually more of an answer.’

We quickly and quietly returned to Ellen's office.  The door stood open, but we knocked anyway.

"Come in girls," Ellen said cheerfully.  "Good news, Rachael and Mary Beth's stories match up with yours Matilda.  So although there was a breach of security on your part, it was very minor and there's no problem.  You understand Matilda that things could have been much worse."

"Yes Ellen, I understand that now.  Beca explained lot’s of things during lunch.  I'm very sorry for any trouble I've caused."

"That's all right Matilda,” Ellen said while casting a questioning look at Beca.  “What I’d like you to do now though is take a test.  The school's administrator has approved my giving you the full test instead of just the preliminary version that we’d planned.  I'm also to arrange for Mary Beth to take it; I'll have to arrange some time and space at Whittier Elementary this week so we’re not interfering with their schedules once they start classes.  This is something we usually give to a large group of children at the same time, several thousand in fact, all across the country.  Of all those we give the test to, we usually offer twelve to sixteen students a place at this school.  Even though you've only been here a few days, from the reports I've been getting from the staff and the students that have met you, and the research I've done, I think the test isn't really necessary, but a formality.  Because I want you to take the full test, it will take about four hours, instead of the two hours I’d mentioned earlier, although no one has ever finished it.  Because it'll be after 5:00 before you leave I've asked your Mother to bring some of your boy clothes for you to change into to go home in."

"Four hours, what kind of test is it?"

"We don't normally tell people about the test, but from what I've learned about you it won't matter if you know before or not, you'd figure it out as you go.  It helps us collect information about you and your personality, your likes, your dislikes.  Whom you consider close friends, and how they feel about you.  In addition, how you would react to different situations.  Well, that's enough talking about it; let’s get you started on it.  Would you please come with me Matilda?  Beca would you please go to Matilda's room and collect her clothes and take them to Edith's office, she'll be changing in there."

Ellen led me to the conference room where I'd met Miss Adams.  On the table, I saw a stack of papers and several pencils.

"Matilda, start with the top page.  When you’re finished with that one, turn it face down and go on to the next page.  Work quickly and do as much as you can.  I'll come back in four hours, okay dear?"

"Okay Ellen," I said as I sat down and picked up the first page.

‘Well this has been a long three hours and forty-five minutes, and one of the most unusual tests I've ever seen.  Most tests like this usually ask the same question in two or three different ways, not so with this one.  In almost four hours, I’ve only seen four questions that were asking for the same information in different ways, and those seemed to be asking about friendship, honestly and loyalty.  Yeah, extremely odd things to have on a school test.  There's still a lot more to this school than anyone is telling me, or mom.  I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to figure it out, but I will eventually, I always do.  Nobody can keep a mystery from me for long.  I wonder if there are cameras in this conference room, and do they know I finished this test about fifteen minutes ago?  What was it Ellen said?  Nobody has ever finished this test?’

Just then, the door to the conference room opened, interrupting my train of thought, and in walked Mom and Ellen.

"Well Matilda, how are you doing?" Ellen asked.

"I’m finished," I said softly, but with confidence.

"What, you’ve finished?" Ellen was shocked.

"Well actually I finished about fifteen minutes ago," I said.

"Nobody's ever finished this test!  Not in this country at least," Ellen said as she started flipping through test sheets, looking at a couple of my responses on each page.  "This is going to take some time to review and evaluate.  I’ll need to consult with the rest of the psychiatrists.  Good heavens, I need to call Katharine at Hayfield.  I wonder if they've ever seen anything like this before.  If I hurry, I can catch her before she goes to bed."

"Ellen, is everything all right?" Mom asked.

"What?" Ellen asked.  "Oh yes, fine umm fine.  Oh Edith, take Matilda to your office, she can change there.  I'll have someone come to escort you out to your car.  Oh, Matilda you're not to see Mary Beth until she's taken the test.  I'll tell you when it's okay."

Ellen seemed to be very distracted, shaking her head and mumbling as she left the conference room.

"Matilda, what did you do?" Mom asked.  "I've never seen Ellen so, so . . . I'm not even sure what word describes it."

"Well, I guess I did something that's never been done before.  Ellen said that nobody’s ever finished those tests," I said.

"And you did?"

"Uh Ha"

"Oh my … Well, I told Ellen you were smart, also what your teacher said last year.  We'll just have to deal with it tomorrow.  Right now, Dear, we need to get you changed and get home."

"Okay Mom."

After we got home, Mom called the Phelps's home and talked with Mary Beth.  She explained that she wouldn't be able to see Matt for a few days.  She also told her, that someone from Whittier Elementary would be calling to talk with her Mother, about taking a special test before school has even started for the year.  She should tell them yes, she'd be happy to, and go take the test.  I guess Mary Beth asked why or what’s it’s all about.  All I know is that Mom said, “Trust me Mary Beth, this is important.”  “Yes Mary Beth, it does have to do with your friend Matilda.”  I guess Mary Beth understood because Mom said “Good bye Mary Beth” and then she hung up.

So ends Monday.  To say that today had been exciting wouldn't be exactly accurate.  The day was definitely been enlightening.  I was beginning to wonder if I would ever experience a day that was just . . . normal.

 

**** To be continued ****

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at

 

[email protected]

 

Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2006 Penny Reed Cardon. All rights reserved.